Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Powerless

I've come to believe there is only one true sin in the universe--pride. Any sin we commit becomes an "act of independence" (Elder Hafen's phrase); that is, we willing choose to act in a way contrary to the laws of Heaven. In that moment, we choose our will over His; our desires over His desire for us. Also, in that moment, we have chosen to believe we know better than the God of the Universe.

It is for this reason that we cannot begin to effectively deal with our addictions until we completely accept the fact that the Lord is smarter and more intelligent than us; that He has the capacity and desire to love us to a greater extent than we can; that His ways, His path for us, is greater and more glorious than anything we could ever do on our own.

If we are to then accept His will, we also must accept that if we flail away, stubbornly trying to prove that we know better, we will find our addiction continues to hold us in a unrelenting vice of pain and destruction.

And if we are to recover, we must then accept we are powerless. Powerless! In this politically correct world, the idea of being 'powerless' is to admit we are incapable of changing our life on our own. We are a failure and can't do anything about it! Worse yet, we connect being powerless with being hurt or vunerable and undefended. It is for this reason that most theraputic strategies are focused on helping one become "empowered" and back in control.

Powerless?

Why would we admit that?

Why would You do that?

And why do we have to admit it in order to move on to other steps?

2 comments:

joyce said...

Dear Kevin, when I first admitted I was powerless it was the first time I had to admit that I needed or wanted God back in my life. One of my favorite scriptures is 2 Nephi 4:20 That god had led them through their afflictions(addictions). Isnt amazing how the scriptures apply to us today? But one of the great commandments is to become as a child. A child had little power but they are meek, tender, easy for the spirit to reach, lovable, honest. So when I think of powerless its turning everything over to my Father and letting his have power over my life.

joyce said...

I owe you I am sorry. Sometimes I can come across strong. I am not meaning to argue with you about your feelings, my sister who is a good friend of yours said that it seems that I am arguing. I am passionate but I respect how you feel. I love this program and I cant image my life without it. So I am so sorry if I came across to strong. I am so willing to learn. Please you have taught me things and it has given me alot to think about.